LIMA-HAMILTON and BALDWIN-LIMA-HAMILTON
Lima-Hamilton Corporation was formed October 1, 1947 via a merger with General Machinery Corporation of Hamilton, Ohio. All 174 diesel-electric locomotives were built under this flag even though the last one was not delivered until September 11, 1951.
Baldwin-Lima-Hamilton (B-L-H) Corporation was formed with Baldwin Locomotive's acquisition of the assets of Lima-Hamilton Corporation on November 30, 1950. On December 29, 1950, Lima-Hamilton Corporation was dissolved.
Armco Steel Corporation diesel-electric c/n 9308 1,000 hp built 6/1949. -- Allen County Historical Society collection
Baltimore & Ohio diesel-electric c/n 9381 1,000 hp built 1/1950. -- Allen County Historical Society collection
Cincinnati Union Terminal diesel-electric c/n 9541 750 hp built 6/1951. -- Allen County Historical Society collection
Lima-Hamilton Demonstrator diesel-electric c/n 9307 1,000 hp built 6/1949. -- Allen County Historical Society collection
New York, New Haven & Hartford diesel-electric c/n 9460 1,200 hp built 11/1950. -- Allen County Historical Society collection
Pennsylvania Railroad diesel-electric transfer locomotive # 5683 c/n 9538 2,500 hp built 9/1951. This is the last locomotive to leave the former Lima Locomotive Works. Note the sign over the shop door states "Baldwin-Lima-Hamilton", but the builders plate on the cab is the traditional Lima Diamond, this was ten months after B-L-H had come into existence. This engine left the plant on September 11, 1951, was towed north on the B & O to the PRR connection and handed over to that railroad. -- Allen County Historical Society collection
Lima Locomotive Works produced 7,752 locomotives; 4,787 conventional, direct connected steam locomotives; 2,761 Shay, geared locomotives; 174 diesel-electric locomotives; and 30 electric locomotive shells. They also produced locomotive tenders for other builders and four rotary snow plows.